In many cases, visas are required for entrance into the USA. For standards participants traveling to the USA, we recommend visiting the USA government site for advice on how to obtain such a visa. Please download the guide at: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/BusinessVisa.pdf
You should apply for your USA Visa at least 90-days prior to the session you wish to attend to have a reasonable chance of getting your Visa in time.
For up-to-date information on the Visa Application Process and expected wait-times:
For further information on traveling to the US, please go to:
This is NOT an IEEE website but is provided to you as additional information on traveling to the United States
Instructions for Obtaining an Invitation Letter
for Use in USA Visa Applications
- The IEEE Standards Association can provide you with a letter inviting you to attend the session. You must register for the upcoming plenary session in order to obtain an Invitation Letter. To register for the IEEE 802 plenary session you must pay the registration fee using a valid credit card that can accept charges in US dollars. If for any reason you should be unable to attend the plenary session you may request a refund of your registration fee according to the rules indicated in the 802 Cancellation Policy. Click Here to view the 802 Cancellation Policy.
- Once your registration has been approved you may at any time select the link to “Generate a Visa Letter” from the event portal navigation bar. You will be asked to log in using the same UserID and Password that you used to register.
- If you completed registration successfully, you will then be asked to provide some additional information that is necessary for your Invitation Letter:
- Your Date of Birth
- Your Place of Birth
- The Nationality of Your Passport (i.e. the issuing country)
- The Passport Number
- The Passport Expiration Date
- Once this information has been accepted your personalized letter will be generated in Acrobat PDF format and then displayed on the screen for printing and saving, if you have Acrobat or Acrobat Reader (version 5.0 or higher) installed on your machine (see the link on the 802 homepage if you want to load Acrobat Reader for free). In addition, a copy of the generated visa letter pdf format file will be sent as an attachment in an email to your email address. These letters have the IEEE Logo at the top, are properly signed by the IEEE-SA President, and should be printable on any common personal computer printer.
- If you are still unsure of what to do, or if you have any other questions, please contact our meeting organizers by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone to: +1 (408) 241-8906.